Seasonal projects around your home should continue into the winter months. Though it’s important to clean your fireplace and maintain your heating system, your focus during the winter months should be on the exterior of your home. Before winter weather sets in, think about the following projects:
· Remove debris from gutters—water can back up, causing leaks, ice dams, or damage to your roof and siding.
· Store your hoses and turn off the outside water.
· Apply caulking and weather stripping around doors and windows.
· Drain your sprinkler system.
· Seal cracks and leaks in the foundations and walls.
· Clean, cover, and store outdoor furniture.
· Inspect and upgrade attic insulation.
· Buy a roof rake.
· Protect your entryway floor.
Once winter weather begins:
· Carefully remove snow and ice from your roof and gutters.
· Remove snow as quickly as possible after storms from your deck, driveway, and sidewalks.
Finally, it’s always smart to stock up on water, batteries, flashlights, and other supplies ahead of time.
Tackling these projects will keep those winter blues away!