Whether you are planning on selling your home, or even if you’re not going anywhere, summer is the perfect time to give your roof a little TLC. Where should your start?
- Clean off debris: Remove twigs, leaves, and limbs.
- Inspect the flashing: Visually check that your flashing is solid and not deteriorating. Seal it if need be, remove old caulk and scrub the area clean.
- Inspect the soffit: Look for cracks, holes or rotting to avoid an easy entry by water, insects, or small animals.
- Inspect the fascia (roof trim): Look for signs of rot or damage. Contact a roofing contractor immediately if you notice an issue.
- Secure loose shingles.
- Clean and secure gutters: Clean and wash gutters if there are signs of deterioration, replace them.
- Repair the mortar on the chimney: Work on your chimney should be done by a professional.
- Prune trees: Trim any trees near or touching your roof.By doing these things yearly, you can save your roof as well as $$.