Posted on

Can a colorless, odorless gas be affecting you right now?

One of the last things you may be thinking about as you sit in your home is radon.  It may be something you’ve heard about, but it can actually be affecting you now!

What is radon?  Radon is a cancer causing radio-active gas.  You can’t smell, taste, or see it.  Radon naturally forms within the earth and is literally everywhere.  People can be exposed to radon in several ways.  These include:

  • Cracks in solid floors and walls
  • Construction joints
  • Gaps in suspended floors
  • Gaps around service pipes
  • Cavities inside walls

What’s the big deal?  Over time, exposure to radon can and will affect your health.  The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Surgeon General’s office estimate that radon is responsible for more than 20,000 lung cancer deaths each year in the U.S.  Also, people who smoke have an even higher risk of lung cancer from radon exposure than people who don’t.

The best way to determine the existing level of radon in your home is to schedule a radon test.  If your radon level is confirmed to be 4 picocuries per liter (pCi/L) or higher it’s recommended that you install a mitigation system.  According to the EPA, mitigation systems can reduce radon levels by up to 99%.

Breathe free, protect your loved ones, and check for radon in your home!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *